Old November 20th 20, 02:05 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
John McGaw

Default Is cable both power and data?

On 11/18/2020 11:33 AM, micky wrote:
I have a Y-shaped USB cable, 18" long, with type A at one end and the
two previously most common mini's at the other end, the one that used to
be used for cell phones and the other slightly bigger one.

All 3 ends have the USB logo in the plastic.

Doesn't that mean it's both power and data?

If it were power only, it should not have the logo, right?

Yet when I plug one end into the computer and another end into a Harmony
remote control, I get no beeps from the computer. So that means the
cable is defective, right?

I've had it for years, but I guess I've never used it except for
charging things.

Suggestion: do what I did and drag out _every_ cable you can find in every
box, bag, hole, hanging rack, whatever and then identify, sort, test,
neatly bundle, and label as necessary. Then assess what you have. If you
have no possible foreseeable use for any items bag them up and take them to
the nearest recycler capable of properly handling them. I found myself
getting rid of pounds and pounds of SCSI, IDE, VGA, NEMA, and some totally
unidentifiable sorts of cables. Before anybody pipes up and says that NEMA
cables are quite usable, having 40+ of them isn't. I still have an
excessively huge number of cables, but at least I know what they are and
where they are. Yeah, it is a PITA while doing the job but the results are
satisfying.

--
Bodger's Dictum: Artifical intelligence
can never overcome natural stupidity.