Old July 18th 20, 06:26 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
T[_6_]

Default Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions'and 'start fixing real problems'

On 2020-07-17 18:18, Brian Gregory wrote:
On 17/07/2020 17:31, nospam wrote:
In article , J. P. Gilliver (John)
wrote:

I remember - I _think_ it was in the last decade, but it might have been
more - being startled when I spoke to a young computing graduate, to
find he'd never done any assembler. At that time, after my initial
double-take, I thought to myself: the field is big enough, that there'll
be plenty of room for him, and in practice he'll probably never have any
trouble finding interesting and well-paid employment.

there is no need for assembler anymore, except in very rare
circumstances.

On PCs maybe.

I bet some embedded stuff for ultra cheap mass market stuff is still
done in assember, or something only very slightly higher level.

We build little computers with parts. Then went to
CPU. All assembly code!