Old January 19th 16, 04:42 AM posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
micky

Default The travails of installing a different printer.

[Default] On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 20:51:26 -0500, in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general knuttle
wrote:

On 1/18/2016 4:50 PM, Micky wrote:
[Default] On Mon, 18 Jan 2016 16:29:01 -0500, in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general knuttle
wrote:

On 1/18/2016 3:19 PM, Micky wrote:
his is NOT the Brother All-in-One b&w laser printer with document
feeder, described in the thread, "The travails of installing a
printer".
While I don't have that printer I could not complete the install, I did
an aborted install on LPT1 for the Samsung.

I have Windows 8.1 so it probably will work on Windows 10.

I went to the Control Panel, Hardware and Sound, Devices and Printers.

I then used the Add Printer option at the top of the page.

I stopped the search and checked "Add a local printer or network printer
with manual settings" (If you have the printer attached the search may
find it.)

After checking the above and clicking Next it brings you to a printer
list.

I did look at that list. I"m 90% sure neither 4500 or 4550 were
there. Then I clicked Windows Update, and I looked again. I'm still
90% sure neither was there. Unless I lost track of numeric order.

There is a Samsung MP-4550 listed which if it is like other

But now, this one is NOT there, but "Samsung MP-4500 Series" is
listed. Any chance that happened because I ran that .exe file that
installed drivers?

manufacturers is just a bells and whistles version of the basic MP-4500
model.

Please note if you have never installed a printer you will have to
download the print drivers from MS. It is done by from the install
printer page, and will not immediately start.

I have an HP-932 printer that I bought in 2000. Using this technique I
was able to get a driver and currently using the printer under Windows 8.1

Good to know. 8.1 is better yet. I like this printer. It's small,
and most of all, I don't have to *decide* what to buy instead.

Thanks a lot.

I don't know exactly what I did to get the printer list to download. It
was not part of a a Windows Upgrade. I believe I tried one of the
listed printers or had it search online for the printer.

Once the download started from the install wizard it took several
minutes to complete the download.

Well, in OSes newer than XP, there's a button on the page with the
list of printers for Update (or some such word), meaning only printer
drivers (and if you're installing another piece of hardware, it would
do only drivers like that, I presume). Maybe that was it.

BTW, the Printer Preferences I got for Vista has more options than the
one I have for XP, maybe just because it was written later, 2007.

Only things the printer always had the ability to do, but the software
is better. For example it now has Fit to Page, and Reduce or Enlarge,
25 to 400%, Print all text to dark, Print all text to black,
Watermark, Overlay, Print Order (reverse, odd, even), Poster Printing,
and maybe new, Multiple pages per page. I think all those are new.
And in 3 cases, the little graphic changes when the setting is
changed.