Old June 8th 13, 02:08 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Why is the process of recognizing an optical disk so slow?

On Thu, 6 Jun 2013 19:37:12 -0700 (PDT), Doc
wrote:

Currently running a Core2 Quad, I find that putting in a DVD, CD or
Blu-Ray disk and waiting for the machine to recognize it and have it
be ready to write to still takes about as long as it did on my first
Pentium I machine. Why is this process still so plodding?

Nothing to do with the Pentium class processor, but still tied to its
own speeds when the technology came out 10 years ago for continued
compliance to a user base within the same signal/bus architecture as
today. Not as plodding as tapes or floppy media, just plodding for
HDs;- for standards, still a lot better than most else as the
universal go-to boot retort when all else fails.