Old August 7th 03, 01:11 PM
Mark Weatherill

"Ed" wrote in message
On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 17:37:45 +0100, "Mark Weatherill"
wrote:

I've just upgraded to a Barton 2800+ processor and I've been messing

around
with overclocking it.

System specs are as follows:

A7N8X Deluxe v 2 @ 1005 BIOS
AMD Athlon XP 2800+ Barton Core (Default @ 166x12.5 with standard volts)
Global Win Copper H/S
Asus 8200 (GeForce 3 Ti 200) - Soon to be a Leadtek GeForce FX 5600 Ultra
2 x PC3200 6-3-3-2.5 Geil memory with heatspreaders
2 x IBM 40 GB 7200 IDE hard drives, with drive coolers
1 x Pioneer A104(?) DVD Writer
1 x Pioneer A04 (?) DVD-ROM
4 x 80mm fans (2 pulling in front, 2 pushing out)

My first attempt ended in me running it at 200FSB x 10.5 multiplier

(2.1MHz)

This ran Prime95 for 1 hour without any problems, so I thought, yeah

seems
stable, core temperatures under load were around 44c, board temps around
28c.

I loaded up GTA 3 and played it for about 5 minutes and the whole thing

hung
for about 30 seconds, but then came back and everything seemed fine, but

as
I contined playing I would get white noise spikes and the display looked
like it was showing a blank frame every so often - but it never hung

again.

My missus wanted to use the machine, so I put it back to stock and

haven't
tried again.

Are these problems likely to be a result of the overclock without enough

CPU
volts, or are they showing a weak link in my graphics card?

Interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks Mark

Is the memory running in sync (100%) with FSB?

I would try something like this for starters..
ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES
=========================
CPU External Freq. MHz [200]
CPU Frequency Multiple Setting [Menu]
CPU Frequency Multiple [10.5x]
System Performance [User Defined]
CPU Interface [Agressive] or [Optimal]
Memory Frequency [100%]
Memory Timings [User Defined]
SDRAM Active PreCharge Delay = 6
SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay = 3
SDRAM RAS PreCharge Delay = 3
SDRAM CAS Latency = 2.5
FSB Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
AGP Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
CPU Vcore Setting [Menu]
CPU Vcore [1.65V]
Graphics Aperture Size [128MB]
AGP Frequency [Auto]
System BIOS Cacheable [Disabled]
Video RAM Cacheable [Disabled]
DDR Reference Voltage [2.6V]
AGP VDDQ Voltage [1.5]
AGP 8x Support [Disabled]
AGP Fast Write Capability [Disabled] or [Enabled]

Ed
Barton 2800+ (207x11.5/1.8v)

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I will give them a go.

One thing, Ed, I noticed that you running an o/c 2800+ and I assume from
your BIOS settings above that you're running an A7N8X-Deluxe.

What cooling are you running and is your system stable at these speeds?

Mark