Old April 27th 20, 06:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Samsung P460 Laptop Ram

On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 09:17:56 -0800, "Bill Bradshaw"

On Sun, 26 Apr 2020 14:34:20 -0800, "Bill Bradshaw"
wrote:

Experimenting with Windows 10 Pro 64bit. I do have x64 running on a
different harddisk that I am swiching out. Below ares the
specifications:

System Manufacturer SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD.
System Model P460
System Type X86-based PC (Have the 64bit version installed on another
harddisk that I am switching out for testing.)
System SKU
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz, 2267 Mhz,
2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies Ltd. 07LQ.M009.20091122.JIP,
11/22/2009

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) DDR3 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.96 GB
Available Physical Memory 1.52 GB
Total Virtual Memory 3.04 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.44 GB

Memory Chips Info
1GB 2Rx16 PC-3-8500S-07-00-A0
Korea M471B2874DZ1-CF8 0845
2GB 2Rx8 PC-3-8500S-07-00-F0
Korea M471B5673DZ1-CF8 0845
I want to replace the two chips with 4GB chips.
Could use any suggestions what I might need that will work with this
computer.

I'm not a techie - like the other fine folks here - but I just
finished adding RAM to my Lenovo T500 - similar vintage to
your Samsung - P8400 2.26 but Win 8 Pro originally Vista.
See the recent thread in this newsgroup for my experience -
but to summarize -
- G.Skill F3-12800CL9S-4GB SQ series DDR3-1600
did not work - I believe this was high density ? 4 chips.
- G.Skill F3-8500CL7S-4GB SQ DDR3-1066
did work - I believe this is low density ? 8 chips.
I upgraded from 3 GB to 6 GB re-using the 2 GB DIMM.
I'm quite sure my max. is 2 x 4 = 8 GB.
Not really any significant performance improvement,
that I can see yet - but I'm not doing any intensive stuff.
The SSD that I installed a couple months ago was more
noticeable - start up and shut down significantly improved.
The first DIMM was $ 30. Canadian - luckily the store
let me exchange it for the $ 35. one.
The SSD was Amazon . ca ~ $ 65. free shipping.
Crucial MX500 250 Gig. Their software download worked
great to duplicate the old HD prior to the swap-out.
Good luck.
John T.

The drive I will use in the end is a SAMSUNG SSD EVO 860. Thiis is the 32
bit drive I currently use.
It sounds like you purchased your memory local? Is G.Skill the brand?
Bill

Waterloo Ontario.
https://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?cPath=24_326

G.Skill brand
https://www.gskill.com/products/1/2/Laptop-Memory

Beware of trusting any online compatability lists.
It's good that you are doing your own legwork - beforehand.
John T.