Old October 21st 05, 07:36 PM
uddarts

Default Big Oops! Please help a newbie

"" wrote:
Hi All!

Well, act in haste and repent at leisure goes the saying. I
guess I
proved it this month. Bit of a cautionary tale.

For two years I had a Celeron 1.8 with 60 Gig hard drive and
256 RAM.
I got a quality sound card and a network card. It wasn't
brilliant but
I was happy. Then we had a HUGE lighting storm over Cambridge
and my
computer went very funny. Music quit playing, my internet
connection
was up and down. Then the computer just quit starting up
altogether. I
needed a new computer or to repair the one I had.

My family were about to go away and they were concerned that I
would
not be able to communicate with them or be able to get the
computer
fixed without their car. I guess none of us were thinknig too
clearly
before the holiday. In haste I went with a friend to the local
car
boot sale. Usually the guy has a good stock of old computers.
This
time the fastest he had was a Duron 1.2. I bought it.

Since I bought my Duron I feel it is a little on the slow side
and
can't cope as well as the 1.8 Celeron. Music breaks up if
another
programme is activated. I don't recall that happening with the
Celeron.

I know little about the mechanics of computers or upgrading
but I
found out my computer is a socket A. So in a moment of madness
I went
on Ebay and found another, more powerful CPU which is socket A
compatible - an Athlon 2600. Unfortunately, having bought it,
I have
also found out that it is apparently not compatible with my
motherboard. Apparently you need different motherboards for
diffeent
CPUs. Also memory. I don't know what else.

Right at the moment I don't know what to do. I could really
use some
constructive advice (ie. not just yeah you made a total prat
of
things). I'm wondering if I should

attempt to repair my old Celeron (possible motherboard
replacement,
seing as we replaced the sound files, sound card and network
card and
it still collapsed again). Then flog my Duron computer.

live with my slow Duron 1.2 and put the Athlon chip back on
Ebay and
hope to get my money back (I paid £35 for it).

go on Ebay again and buy the extra bits I ned to get a more
powerful
computer (for under £75 cos I'm disabled - poor).

Is upgrading a really huge deal? Mum's partner is good at
putting
sound cards in, etc for me. Is it much more complicated to
put in a
new motherboard, memory chips? Ebay is awash with chips and
motherboards and whatever. Can someone offer any guidance as
to what
to get and how much I should expect to pay? Is there a
good/reasonably
priced make of motherboard? Are some memory chips better than
others?

I gather I would need a motherboard that does at least
everything my
Duron does:-

video to moniter
network card
my sound card I can bring over
256Meg RAM
2 hard drives (I brought my old one over because the Duron's
hard
drive is titchy at 20 Gig)
2 CD drives (inc a burner)
4 USB slots

If I get a motherboard with more bits do I need to get a
diffeent back
for my computer?

A thousand apologies for my total ignorance. This is all new
to me. I
bought a box from a shop and if the damned NTL had shielded my
network
card from the lighting I would have been happy surfing still.
Alas all
is misery, confusion and expense!

Any advice anyone can give would be very much appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

here’s a program for you download and install. it should be able to
give us the brand and model of your motherboard. that way we can
figure if a new board will fit okay.

http://www.lavalys.com/products/down...?pid=1&lang=en

give us as much info on your present setup. power supply, type of ram,
video card or onboard video, etc.

what operating system are you using and do you have a disk to do a
fresh install of windows.

what 2600 did you get?

AXDA2600DKV3C 2.13Ghz Multiplier=16x(tbred)
AXDA2600DKV4D 333FSB 1.91Ghz Multiplier=11.5x(barton)
AXMG2600FQQ4C(mobile)

ud

Topic URL: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/Big-Oo...pict63881.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.hardwareforumz.com/eform.php?p=320685