Old October 21st 05, 06:14 PM
Wes Newell

Default Big Oops! Please help a newbie

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 10:07:27 +0000, Dave The Brain wrote:

snip
Any socket A CPU should work in any Socket A MB. You just need to know
what you are doing. If you want help, give me the the complete info on
the cpu label and the make/model of your MB. Now go to the link below and
do a little reading about MB's and CPU's.

Forgot to mention that the chip I bought off Ebay was an AXDA2600DKV3D AMD
Athlon XP 2600+ 2.133GHz 333FSB Prcessor.

Hope that helps.

Not much, that's why I asked for the "complete" info on the label. This
does tell me that's it's a Tbred B core (256K L2 cache) and default FSB of
166MHz, but the last line will tell me the stepping and whether or not
the cpu is multiplier locked or not. Your MB with the SIS730 chipset will
be limited to a 133MHz FSB. If the cpu isn't locked, you can change the
multiplier to reach the max speed of the CPU. If it's locked, then the max
speed you will get from the cpu is 1666MHz unless you perform the mobil
mod to turn it into an XP-M and then control it via software.