Old October 21st 05, 07:07 AM
Wes Newell

Default Big Oops! Please help a newbie

On Thu, 20 Oct 2005 22:04:29 +0000, Dave The Brain wrote:

Usually the guy has a good stock of old computers. This time the fastest
he had was a Duron 1.2. I bought it.

Since I bought my Duron I feel it is a little on the slow side and can't
cope as well as the 1.8 Celeron. Music breaks up if another programme is
activated. I don't recall that happening with the Celeron.

Probably a config or driver problem.

I know little about the mechanics of computers or upgrading but I found
out my computer is a socket A. So in a moment of madness I went on Ebay
and found another, more powerful CPU which is socket A compatible - an
Athlon 2600. Unfortunately, having bought it, I have also found out
that it is apparently not compatible with my motherboard. Apparently you
need different motherboards for diffeent CPUs. Also memory. I don't know
what else.

Any socket A CPU should work in any Socket A MB. You just need to know
what you are doing. If you want help, give me the the complete info on the
cpu label and the make/model of your MB. Now go to the link below and do a
little reading about MB's and CPU's.