Old August 29th 03, 09:48 PM
uncooked meat prior to state vector collapse

Default First Time Overclocking Results

Currently upgrading my system..... specs so far:

Lian-Li PC6010 Case
Antec 480W TruBlue PSU
Asus P4C800-E Dlx
Intel P4 2.8c 800 FSB (Stock HS/Fan)
Generic 256MB 400DDR
Nvidia GeForce 2 GTS Pro 32MB
WD 40GB IDE / 27GB Maxtor IDE
Lite-On 52x CDRW
Coolermaster Round IDE/FD Cables
Lian Li Aquarium w/Cold Cathode kit

System is being slowly replaced, part-by-part, week-by-week. Next upgrade is
1GB Ram, then either 5900 or 9800 GPU, followed by 4 large HDDs and DVD+/-,
lastly will replace monitor, speakers, etc.

This is my first attempt at Overclocking, I used ASUS Probe and Fresh
Diagnose for system monitoring and benchmarks. Overclocking was performed
via ASUS BIOS in 5% FSB increments

CPU Bench Results -

Stock
WhetStone FPU 3438
DhryStone ALU 6401
Speed 2806 MHz

5% Overclock
WhetStone FPU 3598
DhryStone ALU 6520
Speed 2940 MHz

10% Overclock
WhetStone FPU 4192
DhryStone ALU 7051
Speed 3080 MHz

Memory Benchmark

Stock
Integer Assignment 21072
Real Assignment 21651
Integer Split 32334
Real Split 32298

5% Overclock
Integer Assignment 21586
Real Assignment 22098
Integer Split 32740
Real Split 32313

10% Overclock
Integer Assignment 14346
Real Assignment 14548
Integer Split 32302
Real Split 22800

Net Gains
CPU @ 5% OC WhetStone FPU - 4.65%
CPU @ 5% OC DhryStone ALU - 1.80%
CPU @ 5% OC Speed (MHz) - 4.78%
CPU @10% OC WhetStone FPU - 21.93%
CPU @10% OC DhryStone ALU - 10.15%
CPU @10% OC Speed (MHz) - 9.76%
MEM @ 5% OC IA - 2.43%
MEM @ 5% OC RA - 2.06%
MEM @ 5% OC IS - 1.25 %
MEM @ 5% OC RS - 0.04%
MEM @ 10% OC - Major Loss

Ok, theres the numbers. ASUS Probe reported no major shift in Idle CPU Temp
during the changes to FSB and ran between 35-40 C at idle, maxing out @ 50 C
while Benchmarking @ 220Mhz FSB.

Problems :
With FSB at 210Mhz (5%) Asus Probe reported the CPU Fan RPM was 0, but
reported over 2000 RPM at both 200 and 220 FSB.
Memory Performance saw gains with 210MHz FSB, but took a major hit with
220MHz FSB.

I'm going to research ways of slowing down my 400MHz Memory as the FSB
increases, but I will be replacing my current memory with Dual Channel
Corsair 1GB Total and am wondering if this is a good reason to get 500Mhz
modules. Isn't it true that higher Mhz Mem trades in lower latency for the
speed gain? Does that matter?

Any feedback and/or advice for this OC'ing Newb is greatly appreciated.