Old January 5th 05, 01:04 PM
Robert R Kircher, Jr.

"Whytoi" wrote in message
In article , Robert R Kircher, Jr.
wrote:

"Whytoi" wrote in message
I have just discovered that Dell has a very strict demarcation b/n
their so called business line of computers and those for home users. I
tried to buy a Latitude for a friend but got stopped by Dell's need for
company account etc.

Make up something? There are a lot of us who only buy from small
business
with or without a real company.

But the guy said that you need a company reference number or something,
and also a company account. Well, guess I could have been smarter and
made up a story. But I didn't know how rigorously they enforced those
rules. So...

Tell me more, I'll remember it next time.

Order online via the small business site. I think it ask for a company
name. Make something up like My Friend Inc.

Once you've ordered that way you'll just use the same customer number for
any other orders that you may call in.

BTW: I haven't called in a order in years. I usually email a PDF of what I
configure on the web site to the sales agent I've been working with. Every
so often that agent moves on and I get an email from the new agent. In any
event, I don't know exactly how the phone in system works anymore but if you
happened to get piped over to Home as apposed to Small Business the sales
geek may have been giving you the run around because they are two different
groups and he'd lose the commission because he'd have to pass you off to the
SB group.

Good luck.

--

Rob