Old June 8th 19, 11:58 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default More Delayed Sandisk Weirdities

A year ago or more I got into some new Micro Sandisk cards.

Four or five of them: 16 32 and 64G. New speed Ultra/Pro stuff to
older ratings.

The newest and fastest ones, 64G, I thought I'd bricked.

Then, I recently got a 7" HandDroid, running a variant of *NIX, like
most do.

Turns out, with the HandDroid, I can format one of the 64G, a 32G, all
newer standards, as well as the slower variants of both a 32G and 16G.

On the PC (with a Kingston Micro-memory USB adaptor), however, it
doesn't like anything other and but Slow Standards. One of the 64G
appears consequently bricked and ruined due to PC attempts to format.

What FAT32 for a HandDroid "standard" means, evidently to the faster
variants of these memory boards, is something entirely Greek in PC
terms.

At least I do have now usage of the faster 32G and one similar 64G.

I still have yet further compatibility steps to test the faster cards
from a more modern Windows USB connection. The HandDroid will not
connect to less than Windows 7.

As it is, I can work solely through the Kingston adaptor, copying
files with the slower variants of memory cards, from an older Windows.
Those faster cards, though, are bad news from an older Windows OS.
When I attempted to format them a year ago with FAT32, they were
rendered irrecoverable and I thought bricked (one 64G still is and the
HandDroid errors or won't sequence into a format for it).

Good news is those faster cards apparently do work, aren't a total
write-off after keeping them for this chance contingency.

I'll still run with the 32G slower card for greatest PC compatibility,
though. The HandDroid, wouldn't you know it, apparently wants the
faster stuff -- and may display some sort of OS routine and reminder
everytime it sees it.

That's just a HandDroid, though: As a class, intrusive as hell and
don't give a good damn, so long as you're registered to a cloud where
they can track you.

Mine's OFF: I bought it for a book-reading device, which pleases me in
that respect;- And a bunch of books obviously needn't qualify for
potentially bricking the whole damn shebang over a RootKit.

Funny how that worked out, though. It was like a $10 handheld MP3
player that side-tracked me into identifying potential FAT32 format
issues between a stated standard of memory devices for a HandDroid,
PC, and whatever Sandisk else (Western Digital) is up to with the
high-speed "ultra and pro" series cards.

There's memory and then there's memory. And Fat32 doesn't necessarily
mean what it used to mean if you cross the line between these card
types.