Old January 25th 09, 02:39 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Mike Echo

Default CDR/DVDR speed reduced. Why?

smh wrote:

LG DVD Writer FAQ (Updated 28 Jul 2008)
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f91/lg-dvd-...2008-a-168082/

38.I have just purchased some Memorex 16x DVD-R discs but they will only
burn at 4x on my GSA-4163B. What is going on?
http://club.cdfreaks.com/1648710-post39.html

40.I cannot get my GSA-4163B/4167B/H10x to be detected as a UDMA4 drive.
What is going on?
http://club.cdfreaks.com/1648713-post41.html

Thanks very much for the info, smh, it makes for an interesting read. I
went out this morning and bought some Sony 16x and guess what? They show
up as 16x in both drives (I haven't done a test burn yet, but the 16x
shows up as an available speed for both drives in CDBurnerXP).

So the Memorex, even though labelled as 16x, only perform at a lower
rate in these particular drives. I am grateful for all the responses and
this has taught me not to try and save a couple of bucks on discs that
are not my usual brand. I usually use Verbatim or TDK and now I know
Sony ones are decent. Oh, I bought DVD+ instead of my usual [out of
habit] DVD-.

It's always nice to get to the bottom of something, especially a
frustratingly simple issue like this.

Thanks again, and happy burning.
R.

--
I don't need to tell the world who I plonk. I just do it.