Old November 30th 04, 07:53 PM
Sharanga Dayananda

If you need to output 5.1 channels through an individual SPDIF out as a
Dolby Digital signal ( i.e. don't have analogue inputs on yer receiver
), you need a card which supports "Dolby Digital Live" like the recent
Cmedia cards or an nForce 2 mobo with Soundstorm. No Creative card does
this at the moment and according to a recent press release they have no
plans to release such a card.

http://www.cmedia.com.tw/product/CMI8768_plus.htm

Should serve yer needs.

The Berzerker wrote:
I'm trying to purchase a 5.1 soundcard for my PC, but I'm very confused. My
machine already has 5.1 sound onboard, but it's not 5.1!?!? It has an SPDIF
port, sure and through this it can output DVDs in full 5.1. However, when it
comes to games, it's just not capable. I'm guessing because with the DVD
it's just throwing out raw 5.1 sound, while real-time stuff like games can't
be done that way. Either way, it can't have 5.1 in games, and that's what I
want.

So, you see my problem. I've been browsing around, looking at cards, and I
can never tell whether the card does 'true' 5.1 sound, or is just like what
I've already got.

I've been looking at this.

I can't tell if it's appropriate. It's certainly cheap, and I don't have
lots of money to spend. I've also noticed that it doesn't feature a SPDIF
port, which makes it useless? You're required to connect each speaker
individually to a port, and I can't do that. My 5.1 speaker system (complete
with decoder) requires it be connected via optical or coax. The speakers
simply wouldn't fit into the back of the card if they were to be connected
one by one. What do I do? Is there an alternative model with a SPDIF port? -
so I can just link the card to my decoder?

I'm not really fussed about manufacturer and I'd really, really appreciate
some help.

Thanks. I hope someone can guide me.