Old December 11th 14, 05:57 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Ken Springer

Default bought non-wireless priinter by mistake

On 12/10/14 7:48 PM, micky wrote:
On Wed, 10 Dec 2014 13:48:34 -0500, Fred McKenzie wrote:

In article ,
micky wrote:

Oh, and an Ipad.

Micky-

Next you will find that the iPad will not print to the USB printer, even
though it is on the network. The iPad uses the AirPrint system, which
only works over Ethernet or WiFi, NOT USB.

Ugh.

I should have asked Fred in my reply to him if this applies to all
iPads, or just some of the older ones.

There are iPad Printing Apps that can get around the problem
(PrintCentral for example), and Apps from various printer manufacturers

(BTW, this reminds me. He doesn't have an apple laptop after all, I
think. He has an apple ipad, or whatever by apple is called a
tablet. I don't like to be pushy in helping him, because every guy
likes to do things themselves if they can. Plus I don't know much about
apple stuff. I'd like to learn, but on someone who is more desperate
than he is.)

The iPad is Apple's tablet, and there's a smaller version called the
iPad Mini.

that work with their printers. However they can not be used from within
other Apps unless they have an "Open In" or "Open Using" option. They
have their own web browsing, mail and photo functions to enable printing.

There are also programs that run on your computer to share its printer
as AirPrint over the network. The computer must be turned on any time
you want to print from the iPad.

He might be leaving it on anyhow. I wouldn't do that but I don't tell
him he shouldn't. And from what you say, it might turn out to be a good
thing.

I'll keep the words AirPrint in mind.

Fred

--