Old April 19th 09, 05:15 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Yousuf Khan

Default 5.25" floppy drive to IDE to USB?

Anthony K. wrote:
Is it possible to get a vintage 5.25" PC floppy drive connected to a
modern PC with no floppy controller and just USB/FireWire inputs? Do IDE
5.25" floppy drives exist? If so, I could drop one into a USB enclosure.
Is there an adapter that would let me connect a floppy drive to an IDE
interface?

My specific machine is a Macintosh so I'm certain there are additional
BIOS issues, but I figure, as long as I am able to get the drive mounted
via USB, I could run Windows or just virtualize DOS in order to see the
drive properly.

Well, I'm sure it's possible to get it to work in a USB, but the floppy
controller interface is not the same as IDE, it predates the IDE
interface by more than a decade. You won't be able to plug a floppy into
an IDE interface. However, there are direct floppy to USB drives
available these days, most seem to be of the 3.5" floppy variety.

Here's some examples from one vendor:

Canada Floppy Disk Drives, Floppy Drive, External Floppy Drives, USB
Floppy Drive at TigerDirect.ca
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio....asp?CatId=287

Yousuf Khan