Old April 18th 05, 02:06 AM
BobVal

Hello:

I have been having some problems with the Argosy Network Drive and I
think I figured out why.

The Argosy Network Drive uses FAT for it's file system, FAT uses a
FIXED Allocation Block size for files. I have a 200 gig drive in there
and for FAT to reference it all it MUST use 32K as the file allocation
size.

Now I have been trying to copy 11,128 files that take up 92 gig to this
drive. The drive I am copying from is using NTFS which uses variable
file allocation size.

The same amount of files copied to the Argosy Network Drive would
require 300+ gig. Because for each file the Argosy uses 32k. My
average file size is 8 - 10k but on the Windows XP NTFS, but on the
Argosy they will all be 32k. Using 3 times as much storage as needed.

I think I need to find a different solution that uses a variable
allocation size like NTFS used by windows XP, etc.

Bob Valentino