Old May 21st 18, 05:44 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Johann Klammer

Default I think I've solved my Spin Retry Count problem

On 05/20/2018 06:14 PM, wrote:
Hi,

I have a Toshiba HDD that shows a variable Spin Retry Count through
SMART, is this possible?, one day it show a BAD state with a very
high Spin Retry Count, 2 days after it shows a normal value, but with
some retries, and today it shows a completely normal state without a
single Spin Retry. I don't know if I must backup and replace or this
is a completely normal situation. I understand SMART values are
fixed, and can't be modified.

If it is a sata drive try one of those connectors with a clamp.
mine made click-click during bootup and had intermittent outages,
due to loose connectors. It stopped when using clamped ones.