Old September 19th 09, 01:22 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

Default I think I've solved my Spin Retry Count problem

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:51:12 -0700 (PDT), YKhan put
finger to keyboard and composed:

On Sep 18, 1:57*am, Franc Zabkar wrote:
I agree. There seems to be no plausible causal relationship between a
faulty data cable and a spin retry issue. It would be a bit like
blaming a flat tyre on a flat battery.

There is one possibility that might explain it that I've been thinking
of recently. When the drive was connected via IDE, it was one of the
first drives detected by the BIOS, whereas now that it's connected via
SATA it's one of the last drives. It's perhaps possible that the
additional resting time in between gives it more time to get ready for
the BIOS when the detection procedure comes around to it.

AIUI, all drives spin up as soon as power is applied, unless you have
enabled PUIS (power up in standby), in which case the BIOS or the OS
could stagger the spinup. But I still can't see how either scenario
could affect the spin retry count.

Maybe warmer weather has made the fluid bearing a little less viscous
???

- Franc Zabkar