Old April 3rd 08, 07:55 PM posted to comp.arch.storage
Alfred Falk

Default changing disk size in RAID 5

morales wrote in news:252383f2-5d66-4c7b-be80-
:

Hi,

At job we have an HP Proliant DL380 G4 High Performance with a RAID 5
array with 4 SCSI disks with 36.4 Gb capacity each one.

Last week one disk failed and the RAID 5 is working without one disk.
My problem and doubt is that HP is not selling anymore 36.4Gb disks,
just 72Gb or 142 Gb disks. My question is: What happen if I change the
disk falied and I replace with a 72 Gb one?

Can I change one disk with different size than the others 3 in RAID
5?

The theory says that RAID 5 is possible with different size disks, but
I think that is possible IF is just at the beginning when we create
the array, or am I wrong?

Thanks for your help

Roberto Morales

All recent RAID controllers that I've seen allow you to put in any disk
that is at least as large as the one you are replacing. Try reading the
documentation for the RAID controller or calling HP.

A L B E R T A Alfred Falk

R E S E A R C H Information Systems Dept (780)450-5185
C O U N C I L 250 Karl Clark Road
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
http://www.arc.ab.ca/ T6N 1E4
http://outside.arc.ab.ca/staff/falk/