Old June 23rd 03, 02:05 AM
David B.

Should be able to find that at Home Depot or similar, Just so you know I have successfully performed the same recovery process
twice.

"John Smith" wrote in message ...
Thanks, I'll have to keep my eyes out for a second hand drive on ebay. I
assume no one sells these controller cards?

BTW, Seagate have very annoying star screws on the circuit/controller board
which needs a special screwdriver. I assume you can pick these up in most
hardware stores?

J.

"Vincent" wrote in message
i would think the data on the media is ok.
Yeah, might try screwin on a new controller board.

"John Smith" wrote in message
Hi,

I fried a Seagate 80GB drive a few weeks ago.

I did a stupid thing and was connecting the power connector up when the

PC
was on, put the connector in the wrong way and, strange burning smell 5
seconds later, the drive was fried.

So, is there anyway to recover the data on this drive. Is it just the
circuitry that has gone or has the data also gone? Or is it touch and

go?

I was thinking of buying another Seagate drive, unscrewing the

electronic
circuitry from the old one and screwing on the new one so that I could
recover the data? Would this work?

I know companies used to charge a fortune for this kind of thing a few

years
back - do they still charge a fortune? Hasn't a 'cheap' home-based

product
for such an event come on the market?

J.