Old July 20th 07, 04:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
[email protected]

Default (OT) Multiple hard drive wipe utilities question...

On Jul 19, 7:35 pm, "S.Lewis" wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com...

On Jul 19, 5:38 pm, "S.Lewis" wrote:
wrote in message

groups.com...

On Jul 19, 7:11 am, Barry Watzman wrote:
Actually, there is a better way to do this that is fully DOD approved.

For the past several years, almost all IDE hard drives have had an
INTERNAL TO THE DRIVE "wipe the entire drive" command. This wipe is
EXTREMELY secure, and isn't done by the computer that the drive is
connected to, but rather by the drive itself (once the command is
issued).

A professor (Gordon Hughes) at UCSD (Univ. of Calif. San Diego) has
produced a PC program (command line (DOS), I think) that will do such
an
erase on a PC, it's called HDDerase and a web search should find it.
There have been a couple of articles on C|Net or Infoworld about this
feature also. The feature has been around for a surprisingly long
time,
virtually all IDE and SATA drives have it, but the PC community is
surprisingly ignorant of it.

Yes, most IDE/SATA drives above 15GB or so have it built in. But when
you have to do bulk wiping, especially on older drives, you never know
for sure if it's implemented. And then there is the SCSI issue.

The SCSI issue seems to be the deal breaker, though some external devices
claim to be able to handle all three.

HDDerase requires a commercial license for non-home use.

http://invent.ucsd.edu/technology/ca...SD2005-815.htm

DBAN is FREE. It works just fine with internal and external SCSI (yes,
and SCA, and fiber channel). USB and 1394 seem to be out. And no zip/
jaz/orb/sparq wiping. For now.

I've got DBAN, but again I don't believe it will wipe drives in parallel,
only sequentially. I'll have another look at their readme....

It WILL wipe in parallel. I've done it. Lots of time.

Just type 'autonuke' and watch.