Old February 18th 05, 03:13 PM
Kaz

That's what I have been thinking. This system is 2 years old and I had to
replace the original GeForce 4 card as the fan died. I chose the GeForce
MX440 with the heat sink but looks like I will have to get away from NVIDIA.
Could it possibly be just a bad connection.....or could dust be the
culprit....I am not comfortable in ripping into the insides of my PC but
will get someone to check it out...if we know what we are looking for.

"Pen" wrote in message
At this point you need to change the video
card. The symptoms are clearly that the
display card is acting up.

"Kaz" wrote in message
Display card set-up has not changed in 18 months. Refresh rate set at
the
lowest....60Hz as well as screen resolution (800x600) All monitors
tried on
system have been standard CRT. All auto power features have been
turned off.
This problem of the monitor turning off is so random, that I cannot
pinpoint
any common event.....except that it usually happens within 5 minutes
or so
of booting up PC.

Kaz

"Jerry G." wrote in message
It may be that your display card set-up is not correct for the type
of
monitors that you are running. The resolution, and or the refresh
rate may
be too high. This is the reason for the warning.

As for not turning on, make sure that the power settings are not set
allow standby, or to shut the monitor after a certain period.

As for the standby mode, depending on the combinations, many PC
machines,
and their operating systems have problems to manage it. Turn off the
auto
off features and see if the monitors are more stable.

--

Jerry G.
=====

"Kaz" wrote in message
I have a very frustrating problem, in that it is very intermittent. I
can
start the PC but within 5 to 10 minutes usually, the monitor will
turn
itself off (the on off button will go amber....of flash...according
to the
type of monitor) I have tried three monitors on the system and it has
happened with all three, over a period of about three months. The
monitors
cannot be turned back on via the switches and powering off the PC and
restarting is the only way to get going again, and the machine will

operate
fine for the rest of the day. One monitor gave the message ATTENTION

37K/OHZ
FREQUENCY IS OUT OF RANGE. This problem is very intermittent, in that
it

can
be fine for weeks, and then all of a sudden this problem returns for
no
obvious reason. All power settings are turned off....that is, no
sleep

mode
or hibernating. PC is P4 running WinXP Home, GeForce4 MX440-8X.
Any ideas please.

Regards
Kaz