Old April 8th 04, 04:18 AM
Rick Wintjen

Opticreep wrote:
"Emil Luca" wrote in message om...
Look at the rj45 and see if the color of the cable connection inside the
rj45 is the same on both ends.
If it is different it is a crossover cable.

It's straight-through.

Although I may have a weird theory on why I'm having problems.
Apparently, my CAT5 cables weren't properly made. I noticed that pins
3 & 6 on the RJ45 didn't make a twisted pair. Instead, the techie who
installed the RJ45's for me made twisted pairs out of pins 3 & 4, and
then 5 & 6. This probably generated a lot of noise on signals going
through pins 3 and 6. I'm quite sure that category 5 standards state
that pins 3 & 6 make up a pair (and so does 4 & 5).

This oversight probably didn't affect my short 0.5 meter cables too
much. But on a 25-meter cable, the signal-to-noise ratio might have
become too high. At least that's my theory.

But that still doesn't make sense. I don't think the signal-to-noise
ratio should be affected so drastically from this one little mistake.
And besides, why would this 24-ft CAT5e cable work between a DSL
straight to my PC, but *not* work between a router and a PC? Maybe it
has to do with signal strength or the different impedences, but
thinking too much makes my head hurt.

The router probably has a 10/100 interface, also your NIC, so they would
have tried to operate at 100T. The modem is almost certainly a 10T.
Mis-matched pairs are tolerated better at the lower speeds, but you may
have had data errors that weren't bad enough to get your attention.