Old July 30th 03, 10:06 AM
Rod Speed

John H wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote

In the Lian-Li case with vertical mounting, 5 drives can go where
only about 3 1/2 horizontally mounted drives could go because the
case is wider than a horizontal drive is - true for any tower case.

And its rare to bother with more than a couple of drives.

A couple drives is all I have now and my
current case is poorly designed for it.

Or you have some rather silly ideas.

I have 3x5.25" bays containing a CD, DVD

Fine.

and a HD in the middle,

Why ?

plus 3x 3.5" bays containing a floppy
and a HD, with the middle empty.

Why ?

I have no front fan

Most systems dont need one.

and it wouldn't help if I did because it'd be below all the bays.

Because most systems done need a fan for the bays.

Typical layout for a mid-tower but not very good.

Oh bull****. Works fine.

I noticed recently that when I play a DVD
the HD above it heats up by 6-7 degrees C.

Hardly the end of civilisation as we know it any time soon.

You're mindlessly obsessing about complete irrelevancys,
just like you are with the power supply ripple and regulation.

I'd rather have all my 3.5" devices in 3.5" bays with
1 or 2 fans in front of the ones intended for HDs.

Gets sillier by the minute. You never need two fans
for them. You dont need even one fan unless you are
silly enough to use very badly designed hard drives.

The Lian-Li with 8 3.5" bays is a little more than I need right now,

Just a tad.

but in the future it would allow me to have 3 HDs

What's the point ?

with an unused space between each. How's that for cooling.

More silly stuff.

Having multiple HDs mounted right next to each other
in 3.5" bays has never seemed like a good idea to me.

More fool you.

I like plenty of space for air to flow.

Trivial with most cases to have one spare slot between 2 hard drives.

What I care about is MUCH more fundamental stuff like the
supply is designed to ensure that it wont fry anything if/when it
dies. And thats something the specs usually dont even mention.

Any decent PS should have OV and OC protection

Pity that problem happens even with those that claim to have that.

(which IS usually mentioned) but I wouldn't
count on it with $18 power supplies.

Pity about the expensive name brands that have fried stuff while dying.

They seem to be going the wrong way in power output.

Nope.

They're up to 650 watts already, as though it's a horsepower
race. Maybe I should wait for a 1 kilowatt model.

I do think that a power supply isn't something you should try too
hard to save money on - get a high quality one with at least 50%
more power out than you think you'll ever need with all bays full.

Gets sillier by the minute. What matters is
what makes any sense with installed drives.

The power rating goes down fast with heat.

Bull****.

I'll probably get a 400+W model this
time since the price isn't much higher.

Should be fine for most systems.