Old November 13th 20, 09:08 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
wasbit[_4_]

Default Can a weak CMOS battery prevent detection of a drive

"Paul" wrote in message
Norm Why wrote:
[spippage]
Typical low CPU load core temperatures of the Q9650 a
31C., 31C., 28C. and 32C.
Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal grease works great! However, the MOBO
manual suggests that optional fans be installed to avoid overheating.
The manual can be found by Google'n 'Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3L .PDF'

I have a Cougar MX330-X gaming case whose manual can be found he
https://cougargaming.com/fileadmin/d...usermanual.pdf

Note that 5 optional fans can be installed. CPU and Fan N are installed
and their 4-pin fan headers are occupied. According to the MOBO manual
there are 2 3-pin fan headers up for grabs.

[snip]
According to the BIOS, installed fans can be set to sound an alarm if
fans fail or CPU exceeds 80C. However, the beep speaker has been silent
for a long time. There is an little known beep code. The absence of a
beep confirmation at boot time indicates something is wrong. Maybe what
is wrong is the beep speaker?

I should also mention that on one side of the MX330-X case are cutouts
for switches labeled 'FAN1' and "FAN2'. The 2 3-pin fan headers on the
MOBO seem to report to the BIOS. Switched fan power would not so report.
The question is which fans should be connected to the 2 3-pin fan headers
and which should be power switched? And where to get the power?

Thanks.

A motherboard can have fan headers that only provide power (+12V and GND).
Check your manual for details like that.

A motherboard will have at least three channels with RPM counters.
(+12V, GND, RPM). The RPM signal is 2ppr, two pulses per revolution.

THe most exotic headers, are ones with speed control. In the old days,
the three pin connector could have voltage control of the +12V pin.
There would be a 100uF cap next to the fan header plus a transistor.

On modern motherboards, the header is a four pin, and has +12V GND RPM
PWM.
The PWM is a pulse width modulation control that sets the fan speed.
The RPM has the 2ppr thing. The +12V in this case stays at +12V.

You save the fan headers with working RPM pin, for the fans that have
an RPM signal :-)

The cheapest case cooling fans, have no RPM signal. They just have
+12V and GND. You connect them to unmonitored headers, or get
a Molex to fan adapter and power the fan that way,

The next level of fan has an RPM signal. You can plug those to
a three or four pin header equipped with RPM.

The CPU fan header pretty well always has RPM. The CPU cooler
has the third wire with the RPM signal on it. The more modern
CPU fans have all four wires +12V GND RPM PWM, even if you're
not using the PWM and have decided to run the fan at full speed.

Based on the above, you have a pool of electromechanical devices,
you have your various fan headers, you have molex connectors, now
you head off and do your planning.

Nothing says you need seven fans, to have a "lucky" computer.

My newest machine, has one fan on the back (to establish a
low delta_T between inside case air temp and external ambient).
It has a second fan positioned as a blower over VCore, as
VCore doesn't have proper cooling and runs at 65C surface temp.

The CPU cooler is huge, and it has a fan with both
RPM and PWM.

And that's it.

If the case air is getting too hot (warm cloud around
CPU cooler), then I use the 37.5mm thick fan and put it
in the back of the computer for exhaust.

Generally you aim for a "direction" of airflow. Like input
on the front, exhaust on the back. And arrange the fans
so they're not working against one another. For example,
it's pretty hard to install a "side" fan in the door, and
arrange it so it has a deterministic airflow. I did do a
seven fan setup once, and one of the fans, if you held
a tissue next to the fan, there was zero airflow, which
tells you the fans were working against one another.

After we have meticulously set up the air flow, you can get smoke pellets &
matches for testing flues, we then go & stick the PC back in its cubby hole
under the desk & undo all the good work.
Cynic.! Moi? Never.

--
Regards
wasbit