Old November 11th 20, 04:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm Why[_2_]

Default Can a weak CMOS battery prevent detection of a drive

The Intel 9650 CPU I ordered was delivered and with Halnziye: Silver
Thermal Paste. Let's compare specs:

Halnziye: HY710 10g Silver Thermal Paste.

Halnziye HY710 10g Silver Thermal Paste has decent level of thermal
conductivity at 3.17W/mk. It's capable of providing long-term stability
for your machine, remaining operational through temperatures between 22
and 464 degrees Fahrenheit.

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut. specs

Thermal Conductivity 12,5 W/mk
Viscosity 120-170 Pas
Specific Weight 3.7g/cm3
Temperature -200 °C / +350 °C
Capacity 1.5ml / 5,55 g 3ml / 11.1g

The units are Watts per meter per degree Kevin. Using a thin layer reduces
"meters". Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut comes with a spatula with which one can
apply a thin layer. Halnziye HY710 has thermal conductivity at 3.17W/mk.

Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut has Thermal Conductivity 12,5 W/mk

12.5/3.17 = 3.94 or almost 4 times the thermal conductivity, Ceteris
paribus, "holding other things constant." This is a very important
scientific concept for you who have studied multivariable calculus.

The remedy for an overheating CPU is to use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
thermal grease and to use as thin a layer as possible.

The Intel 9650 CPU came from a reputable company who sold me 4x 2GB DDR2
RAM. I only needed 2 modules. When I first plugged in the two RAM modules
(now for a total of 12GB), it created a heat crisis for the old Q9650 that
crashed and eventually burnt up. If I only knew what I know now at first.

Now I will have a Q9650 in a GIGABYTE main board, 6 SSD ports, 2x 500GB
SSD drives and one 3TB WD HDD. Also a bunch of other stuff that is not
part of this discussion.

Why such a proliferation of inadequate thermal grease products? Gresham's
law is a monetary principle stating that "bad money drives out good".
Likewise, so many people settle for bad grease. I've spent a lot of money
on bad grease.

The good grease worked for me. On the new Q9650 all the cores are below 40C.
It can take two weeks for grease to 'set'. That means the idle state gets
cooler and cooler.