Old February 5th 19, 07:27 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John B. Smith

Default Anti-virus for XP?

On Mon, 04 Feb 2019 20:45:11 -0500, Paul
wrote:

John B. Smith wrote:

Downloaded and installed Free AVG 32 bit. All was well till the 2nd
morning when I turned off AVG's nag screen which was trying to sell me
the paid version. Suddenly my CPU usage, both cores, shot to 100%.
Temps went from a sedate 33 to 44c. I shutdown. This evening while
trying to turn off AVG it cured itself. When Googled I found another
man who had same problem with AVG. No fix. Uninstalled it. Tried to
reinstall Kaspersky, no good, install fails in the middle of install.
Guess I have no anti virus.

When was your last backup ?

Paul

Ah, great minds think alike. Unfortunately this thing caught me in a
lazy stretch, last bu was 1-5-19.