Old February 3rd 19, 01:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

Default Anti-virus for XP?

On Sat, 02 Feb 2019 19:39:06 -0500, Paul
wrote:

John B. Smith wrote:
On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 13:42:20 -0200, Shadow wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 14:39:14 -0000, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

John B. Smith wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 16:39:03 -0000, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

John B. Smith wrote:
I just noticed, finally, that my Avast is 'no longer supported for
XP or Vista'. I'm looking for a free antivirus and it seems to be a
tough hunt.
Do you mean a free AV to monitor RAM and scan any file that is
accessed/opened using a downloadable/updatable database or something
that uploads all your file hashes(and sometimes files), emails and
browsing links to government-funded corporations ?
If the former, I don't think they exist anymore. They were
true AV apps. The latter make more money selling your personal info
that from selling licenses. If you don't believe me , read the TOS.
https://www.avg.com/en-gb/windows-xp-antivirus
The download is a 7MB trojan.

The real installer is he

https://install.avcdn.net/avg/iavs9x...up_offline.exe

Almost 400MB. WOW !!!!
[]'s

I got disenchanted with Kaspersky sticking his stick into my spokes
and thought I'd try the 400MB AVG download. When run get "not a valid
Win 32 Application".

I don't know if I have the willpower to test all of these, but the
file is smaller on this one for some reason.

https://www.pcmobitech.com/avg-free-...download-link/

The one from AVG was: avg_antivirus_free_setup_offline.exe 361,733,320 bytes

WinXP x86 (pcm...com) AVG_Antivirus_Free_x86_694.exe 289,597,368 bytes
Vista x86 (pcm...com) avg_antivirus_free_setup_offline.exe 361,733,320 bytes
Vista x64 (pcm...com) avg_antivirus_free_setup_offline.exe 361,733,320 bytes

So it looks like the file Shadow found is a Vista version, according
to the pcmobitech site (and the labels on their downloads).

And you found the real download links. The Offline installer
was too obfuscated to debug.

The Trojan (AKA online installer) AVG offers on their XP page
is also a C++ Visual Studio 2015 [ Win Vista ] executable.(According
to ExeinfoPE]. I didn't try running it.

hxxps://install.avcdn.net/avg/iavs9x/avg_antivirus_free_setup.exe

The main download server inside the executable is
"shepherd.avcdn.net", which is rather appropriate.
Guess who the "sheep.avcdn.net" are ?

I'm guessing that '694 one is the one you want. "WinXP x86" button.

For Windows XP:

Download 32 Bit Version-

//AVG Free Antivirus 2019 is best free Antivirus solution for your PC.
It secures your PC in all-around protection with AntiVirus,
AntiMalware (AVG Resident Shield), AVG Anti-Rootkit,//

Great !!!! That's all an AV needs to work.

//AVG Email Scanner, AVG Protective Cloud Technology, AVG Community
Protection Network, AVG LinkScanner Surf-Shield, AVG Social Networking
Protection.//

And that's what pays for the "free version". Your personal
data.
[]'s

Paul

--