Old February 2nd 19, 10:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

Default Anti-virus for XP?

On Sat, 02 Feb 2019 16:30:54 -0500, John B. Smith
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 13:42:20 -0200, Shadow wrote:

On Sat, 19 Jan 2019 14:39:14 -0000, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

John B. Smith wrote:
On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 16:39:03 -0000, "Mr Pounder Esquire"
wrote:

John B. Smith wrote:
I just noticed, finally, that my Avast is 'no longer supported for
XP or Vista'. I'm looking for a free antivirus and it seems to be a
tough hunt.

Do you mean a free AV to monitor RAM and scan any file that is
accessed/opened using a downloadable/updatable database or something
that uploads all your file hashes(and sometimes files), emails and
browsing links to government-funded corporations ?
If the former, I don't think they exist anymore. They were
true AV apps. The latter make more money selling your personal info
that from selling licenses. If you don't believe me , read the TOS.

https://www.avg.com/en-gb/windows-xp-antivirus

The download is a 7MB trojan.

The real installer is he

https://install.avcdn.net/avg/iavs9x...up_offline.exe

Almost 400MB. WOW !!!!
[]'s

I got disenchanted with Kaspersky sticking his stick into my spokes
and thought I'd try the 400MB AVG download. When run get "not a valid
Win 32 Application".

A rescue CD will scan any OS, and cannot be blocked by
rootkits, because you set it as the boot system in BIOS.
They are usually large downloads .... and include the latest
AV sig files.

Kaspersky makes a good one. You don't need an Internet
connection to run it, in fact, I recommend you unplug the network.

https://support.kaspersky.com/viruses/krd18

You can either burn it to a DVD or to a USB (use freeware
Rufus in ISO mode for that).

PS Last Rufus to run under XP was version 2.18

http://rufus.ie/downloads/

Prefer the portable version.

https://github.com/pbatard/rufus/rel...ufus-2.18p.exe
[]'s