Old September 16th 03, 07:56 AM
Rob Turk

"Lynn McGuire" wrote in message
.. .

If all appears well, try Exabyte's vxaTool diagnostics software to see

if
the drive writes and/or reads properly (Use a SCRATCH tape...). Last but

not
least, make sure your SCSI bus is running in LVD mode. The drive can

switch
to Single-Ended mode, but this is not a recommended mode and can cause
read/write difficulty.

One of the problems of the vxatool utility is that there is not a test
for the entire tape. Or do you know of way to test the entire tape ?
I did erase the entire tape last Friday using Vxatool before I used it.

BTW, I tried calling Exabyte here in the USA. I sat on hold for
30 minutes (on my long distance dollar) after my email to
bounced back. Not very professional.

Thanks,
Lynn

Lynn,

I may be able to do something about the full tape test. I write all
command-line versions of the tools, I may be able to add such a test. The
web site doesn't list a Windows version, as most Windows users don't know
how to handle a command line, but I do maintain one. Send me an e-mail (robt
at exabyte dot com) and I'll see what I can do. Available flavors are Win32
(ASPI + SPTI), Solaris, Mac OS-X, Linux, AIX and NetBSD.

Support through e-mail has been stopped some time ago. Although e-mail
appears efficient, in real support situations a person-to-person
conversation turns out to take a lot less time to resolve an issue and to be
much clearer for the end-user.

Rob