Old February 19th 14, 03:14 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Jim[_38_]

Default Best app for partition recovery

On 18/02/2014 15:09, Jim wrote:
On 18/02/2014 14:53, Paul wrote:
Jim wrote:
On 18/02/2014 13:13, Jim wrote:
On 18/02/2014 12:22, Jim wrote:
On 18/02/2014 12:13, Jim wrote:
On 17/02/2014 18:23, Flasherly wrote:
On Mon, 17 Feb 2014 11:46:28 -0500, wrote:

All I can suggest at this point, is to think carefully about
any changes made recently. Like BIOS changes just before
it could no longer mount.
Why I like "the idea" of coming off a docking station, so far as
setting up a drive. My largest DS firmware support being 2T, I've
certainly aways to go [w/out a 3T drive to my name], although being
USB, there should be a layer [of USB transpostions, i.e., from
within
the station's firmware] non-specifically addressed to the MB's
BIOS;-
interesting distinction how that differs from an added SATA port my
stations haven't.

Anyways, slap up that baby upside any ol' USB2/3 port, a baseline
compliancy, and the given software/OS originally used to
establish the
drive's geometry [reported to the OS] theoretically should be
good to
go to work.
Well i do have an IcyBox IB-RD4320STU3 so i will give that a bash
later and see if i can get any joy from that route.

Jim
OK well after putting the drive in the enclosure and booting it up
in win7 it was not showing up in windows explorer at all so i went
to disk management and it wasasking me to initialize the disk with
eityher MBR or GPT at this point i bottled it as dont want to
write anything to the drive yet, i do have my new 3TB black here
right now so i'm going to try to clone the broken 3tb onto the new
one so i can at least have a back up of it if i do something
silly, I may look at ebay and get a different kind of docking
station as to be honest the icybox i would not class as a dockling
station myself.

Jim
Well thought the best thing was to put new drive inline and let
windows format it the way it wants to but oh no, went GPT route and
now it is now showing as 764.39GB, guys i'm begining to wonder if
my motherboard could be the issue here, i dont know why, sure it's
an older model Asus P5E3 Premium @ wifi
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5E3_PremiumWiFiAP_n

Anyone got a gun?

Jim
I have been thinking about this and was wondering could it be the
drives themselves? Reason i'm think this is i have bought the newer
version of the drive the AF format (WD3003FZEX instead of older
WD3001FAEX drive) I was told there was no real difference but who
knows?
http://wd.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=760

Jim

Nope. I suggested Clearing CMOS as a cure.
Or, using Load Default Settings in the BIOS,
as an easier substitute. You will then need
to load any custom settings later (disable
peripheral chips, load custom RAM settings,
overclocks etc). If you've never ever used
custom settings, accepted the default IDE emulation
mode etc., then you'd have virtually nothing
additional to do.

There's no geometry in the MBR sector. There is
definitely geometry in the four primary partition
entry area, but that doesn't influence the overall
drive size. The BIOS can read the max_address out
of the drive, and convert it to a fake CHS. And in
Linux, it would appear the parameters to fdisk, are
"fakes" to influence how the primary partitions
are set up, rather than overriding anything in
a permanent way. I think I may have used that,
so I could test WinXP on a 56 sector alignment.
(Prep disk in Linux, and transfer files over later.)

So all I can figure, is the BIOS is doing it. If
the 3TB drive had never worked properly, I'd just
say "toss the motherboard". But it did work at
one time, so keep the motherboard. Try clearing
the CMOS (with all power removed - unplug the computer).
The green LED on an Asus motherboard, should not be
lit while using the CMOS jumper. Wait at least 60
seconds after unplugging, before making any changes
inside the machine. That's to give time for +5VSB to
"drain". The computer continues to draw current from
it, which is why it will drain. Someone suggested
pushing the power button on the front, to encourage
draining, but I consider that to be overkill. The
supply might not act sanely, while such a transient
happens.

Paul

OK that's fine i'll do that this afternoon Paul, I have not reset the
bios in yonks and my bios is fairly standard apart from ACHI and
disableing sound etc so no overclcoking done here, i prefer stability
over performance, I'll post back later with an update.

Jim

P.S. Thanks for staying with me.

Well bios is still showing it as 801.6GB despite the fact i can see it
as 3TB in various boot discs i have picked up along the way (hirens
etc), I have scanned WD forum and tried what is mentioned here
http://community.wd.com/t5/Desktop-M...it/td-p/370397

but still coming up with 750 odd GB options even tried linux partition
app (sorry can't remember name it's 3am here) but coming into windows
still gives me 746.52GB Unallocated as i have not even bothered
formatting it.

I have a few more htings to try someone has mentioned about my bios may
be truncating (spelling) my drive so i have to run some tests on that
later but it's gone 3am here (London) and i'm dead so going to call it a
night I will post with some results later for you to have a nose over.

Nite all

Jim