Old December 15th 09, 07:38 PM posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
- Bobb -

Default Problem with WordPad all of a sudden.

THEO@TO. wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 16:07:29 -0500, "- Bobb -"

snip
I looked at things more closely after reading that, and noticed
that the icon for .docs is the same as it was, then as they open
a WordPad icon shows up on the task bar, but then after they do
open it looks like a Notepad icon on the task bar instead of a
WordPad icon. Went to Folder Options--File Types. DOC (not .doc)
DOC File, Opens with: WordPad. So WTF???

as far I knew DOC = doc
do you have both doc and DOC in filetypes
Assume for a minute that windows ( XP?) thinks DOC = doc
For filetype doc - what is default program ( whatever it IS, make it
wordpad)

Plan b : create a new flietype that opens with wordpad
so rename one of your files to be "filename.ggg"
Now double click on "filename.ggg". It will ask " what program to use"
choose WOrdpad and check the "always use this " box.

Changed security from high to moderate and then showed picture as it used
to.
( "preview" is considered a security issue)

That's worth a try. How?

IE - TOOLS- internet options - privacy tab

BTW, I use paint to do what you do
start- prgs - accessories-paint
copy picture from app
paste
save as
done

What do you use to copy pictures?

Not sure what you mean ?
Just right-click copy/ right-click paste

I've been using a demo version
of LView for several years. It has always worked though, and I've
made quite a few docs this way with no trouble reading them or
transfering them and reading them on other computers (except
newer ones often said they could not read that version of Word
documents...) until now all of a sudden when they quit working on
my own computer.

Shouldn't it have something to do with that Notepad icon showing
up on the task bar? Even when I highlight a .doc icon, then right
click and select Open With, then open it with WordPad it still
looks like text only and brings up a Notepad icon on the task
bar. Looking at the document after it's open, at the top bar
(whatever it is) in the left corner there is a text icon like the
one on the task bar, but then it goes on to say . . . .doc -
WordPad. What the hell???

I can't duplicate that here.
If I go to www.GOOGLE.com and
right-click the 'logo of the day above the text area" - copy
Open Wordpad - paste -
Puts that picture into wordpad file for me.

Open Paint and edit- paste - creates same picture - SAVE AS