Old January 2nd 20, 06:21 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Why AMD X2 3800+ Dual Core (Manchestor)/Socket 939/NForce4 has noAPIC chip ? (1)

Ok but now I have to figure out what the partition limit is of ms-dos 6.22.

Some say 2 GB, which is quite suprising low and high at the same time.

Then other's say 503 MB or something... it depends on the hardware I guess.

I think I will try 2 GB, FAT 16.

I did come across ibm dos 7.1 but that would require crazy installs over pc dos 2000 and I don't know if this will work.

Windows 95 and Windows 98 have ms-dos 7.0 and ms dos 8.0 or something.

But I am not sure if these dos versions can actually run ms dos 6.22 games... and sound drivers and such.

Could try it if I place my 80486 here which has windows 95...

Would be cool if x-com/ufo worked on it and maybe dune 2.

But as far as I can remember dos 7.0 might be 32 bit protected mode dos and can't run games, I could be wrong though.

There was a reason why I had system commander, tripple boot this pentium 166 and this might be it.

System commander is quite cool though.

I understand it a little bit better now and was able to modify the autoexec.bat..

Saving it twice, main one and the one sc copies when booting.

Problem was time/date is resettd cause battery dead.

I also set it to prompt... using alt-s to go to setup and such...

Sometimes it's necessary sometimes not, best is to save both version and then it won't detect any time/date change which is kinda funny.

It's a bit shady... but I got it to work by setting rem in front of himem.sys or emm386 or something like that in config.sys...

I think ufo didn't like ems memory... or maybe it was cause soundblaster was chosen...

after running setup from ufo to not use sound the game played..

But without sound it would not be any fun.

Anyway me go back to figuring out how to move my files from P166 to AMD X2 without using network lol.

I may have to install ms-dos 6.22 on usb mass storage device to be able to run guest so I can use zip drive lol.

Quite a work around but quite funny ! =D

But first I investigate linux and thus now I am back with the NOAPIC situation LOL.

Totally funny.

Bye,
Skybuck =D