Old December 31st 19, 06:36 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
[email protected]

Default Why AMD X2 3800+ Dual Core (Manchestor)/Socket 939/NForce4 has noAPIC chip ? (1)

So hello all,

Maybe this is a little bit too advanced for home-built guys, but maybe not.... maybe you know more than the "experts" LOL, maybe you are an EXPERT

Here is a real computer architecture question for you:

(First I will explain why I ran into this issue and it also has me wondering a little bit of this might be the reason why windows 10 x64 does not boot on this specific processor, it probably because of something else: because of swap exchange 128 missing or so.)

But anyway I ran into this issue with Linux, Sparky Linux and others.

During booting of Linux apperently Linux assumes that an APIC chip is present ?!

Now why would Linux do that ? Apperently Linux is/was written for Intel systems cause according to the wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanc...upt_Controller

APIC is an Advanced PIC chip (FROM INTEL ! )

Now I have heard of and programmed a PIC chip before, but never an APIC as far as I know.

So linux won't initially boot if there is no APIC present.

However linux can boot with the NOAPIC boot option which is cool.

Now that I have read the wikipedia... why is this chip missing on AMD systems ?!

Why did AMD not include some kind of CLONE of this chip ? Or even the original ?

How important is this APIC chip ? The wikipedia cause on about multi processor systems ?!

Would an APIC chip make sense for dual core systems ?! Apperently not ? Cause it not there ? Or is this perhaps a missed oppertunity for AMD to enhance this sytem ?

Is there some kind of alternative chip inside this specific AMD processor ?!

I didn't read the entire wikipedia article yet, just some initial exploring..

Maybe you guys know much more about this or not... and know if it's essentiel or not... lol.

Would threadripper 3 have this chip ? And if so why ? and if not why not ?

Kinda wondering if I will run into this NOAPIC boot issue on other AMD processors and systems ?!

Perhaps APIC chip is not inside processor but actually part of the chipset ?!?

So maybe it's an NVIDIA nforce4 chipset issue ? NVIDIA did not include it ?

I believe it's NFORCE4... for AMD X2 3800+... A winfast motherboard...

Bye,
Skybuck.