Old May 3rd 07, 11:49 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Folkert Rienstra

Default raid 1 partition lost after rebuild

"Arno Wagner" wrote in message
Previously Fa3ien wrote:
Arno Wagner a écrit :

I don't think the RAID is the source of the problem (although a
RAID controller that does not have a clear user interface and
good documentation is more than useless).

Can you recommend RAID controller manufacturers who do it right ?

Hmm. Personally I don't like hardware RAID, since you need
a spare controller and they are all limited one way or the other.

And they are too expensive for their performance,

Some would say, you get what you pay for.
So babblebot, what exactly is the cost of performance.

unless you go to the high end.

At which point performance (be)comes very cheap all op a sudden.
As always, babblebot, you make so much sense. It's almost frightning.

I use Limux software RAID.

However I have heard good things about 3ware controllers.

If it wiped data, it
should have wiped the whole disks.

That's what I thought...

More likely the crashes are
the reason your partition seems empty. Microsoft is notoriously
unreliable handling filesystems (and why anybody put up with
that is a mystery to me....).

At the time (2 years ago) we choose the system, time constraints
led use to choose a Windows server. I hope I'll be able to replace
it by something more modular, open and reliable, someday...

Well, Windows is easy at the beginning, but the problems never stop.
Unix is the otehr way round: E.g. Linux servers continue working
unmaintained for years (personal best uptime so far: 400 days).

Look a bit thtrough the archives of
this group. Numerous people had the same problem (partition under
windows suddenly seems empty). You will find numerous things you
can do in the answering posts.

That makes sense, at least. I'm gonna check. Thanks.

No problem.

Arno