Old April 21st 07, 11:06 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Default Wit's End with "Direct Access Component" Conflict

For the last three weeks, after installing Service Pack 2 on my
ThinkPad R40 (Service Pack 2 was necessary to run Windows MovieMaker
successfully), I've gotten blue screen crashes on powering down.

The error messages from MS indicate a conflict with something called
"Direct Access Component," which upon investigation *seemed* to have
been my CD drive and/or its software, created by Roxio. The software
apparently was an IBM proprietary version of Roxio called RecordNow.
In any event, a visit to the Roxio website and subsequent searches
turned up many forum posts on conflicts between Roxio and Service Pack
2; there was a disclaimer by Roxio that the conflict has not yet been
addressed by that company.

I deleted everything containing "ROXIO" from my registry. I have
tried to use Registry Mechanic to help, but unless I "Safely
Disconnect" my CD drive before powering down, the blue screen of death
occurs. Unfortunately, the blue screen message flashes and crashes
too fast for me to actually read what it says (and any input on how to
pause or maintain the screen would be appreciated; I've even tried a
Print Screen to no effect).

I hadn't taken a look at my Start Up file in a while and found it to
be a juggernaut almost a screen long. (Any suggestions on where I
could post the start up file to identify what is--or isn't--vestigial/
unnecessary would also be greatly appreciated.)

In any event, before wiping out the HD, reinstalling Windows, and then
installing Service Pack 2 via a MS-provided CD--which I have
absolutely no reason to believe will solve this problem, since by
reinstalling I will of necessity be reinstalling all the Roxio crap--I
would so deeply appreciate any help anyone could give me here.

Thanks for reading this.