Old January 10th 05, 02:36 PM
algae

Yep..it's drive E. However it won't read the cd..or any other cd...I tried
my Win 2000 cd and my Win XP cd. No dice.
G.
"Earl F. Parrish" wrote in message

"algae" wrote in message
Hi all,
I'm helping a friend with her old Compaq Presario 1235. It was
running Win
98 VERY slowly so I decided to reformat and reinstall Win 98 SE as
it is
probably loaded with spyware, etc. I formatted the drive, created
a Win 98
SE bootdisk, booted to the floppy, and later set the bios to boot
to the cd
rom where I put the Win 98 SE Cd. Upon rebooting nothing is
happening. The
cd rom isn't spinning up and if I change directory within dos, I
still can't
get the machine to read from the cd rom. When I booted to the
floppy I chose
"boot with CD rom support". I figured this would go smoothly so I
didn't
give much thought to it prior to wiping the drive. Am I missing
something
here? Tia for any help.
Gary

During the boot sequence the screen displays what drive letter was
assigned to the CD-ROM drive. It is usually one letter higher than
usual because the boot disk creates a RAM drive between the last
hard drive letter and the CD-ROM drive.

--
Earl F. Parrish