Old January 10th 05, 01:04 PM
Earl F. Parrish

"algae" wrote in message
news:I50Ed.23383$8l.21759@pd7tw1no...
Hi all,
I'm helping a friend with her old Compaq Presario 1235. It was
running Win
98 VERY slowly so I decided to reformat and reinstall Win 98 SE as
it is
probably loaded with spyware, etc. I formatted the drive, created
a Win 98
SE bootdisk, booted to the floppy, and later set the bios to boot
to the cd
rom where I put the Win 98 SE Cd. Upon rebooting nothing is
happening. The
cd rom isn't spinning up and if I change directory within dos, I
still can't
get the machine to read from the cd rom. When I booted to the
floppy I chose
"boot with CD rom support". I figured this would go smoothly so I
didn't
give much thought to it prior to wiping the drive. Am I missing
something
here? Tia for any help.
Gary

During the boot sequence the screen displays what drive letter was
assigned to the CD-ROM drive. It is usually one letter higher than
usual because the boot disk creates a RAM drive between the last
hard drive letter and the CD-ROM drive.

--
Earl F. Parrish