Old February 7th 06, 01:13 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default Athlon XP 3200+ vs. Sempron 3300+ Socket A

"BC" wrote in message
et...
* * Chas wrote:
I'm building a new Socket A system with an nVidia Nforce2 chipset

and
DDR400 or DDR400-2 memory for use with Win98SE.

I've been looking at Athlon XP 3200+ vs. Sempron 3300+ Socket A

CPUs.
The Athlon XP has 512 cache vs. 256 with the Sempron. Also the

Athlon
runs at 400MHz Vs, 333MHz for the Sempron.

I've read conflicting test reports, some saying that there is very
little difference in performance between the two CPUs.

The Athlons are getting very scarce and are running about twice as

much
as the Sempron Socket A CPUs.

Any feedback?

Tom's Hardware ran a boatload of CPU tests, comparing Athlon XP to
Sempron to AMD 64 to Pentium: much depends on whether you are gaming,
doing office work (in which case the XP3200 is fine), doing

audio/video,
etc:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/...pu_charts_2005
/index.html

Newegg has only 7 Socket A CPUs still listed for sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...0343+70001012&
N=2010340343+70001012&Submit=ENE&Subcategory=343&O rder=price

So, I would agree with Wes, who mentioned that building a socket 754
system would be of benefit in several ways. The AMD 64 chips run

cooler
than XPs, and quieter. And, you would have the option of running a 64
bit OS later too.

If you are concerned about getting a core in your CPU that is among

the
best, check this out:

* AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 800MHz FSB Socket 754 E6 Processor
Model ADA3000BXBOX - Retail

Combine with an Asus K8N-E or something with the new Nvidia 6100/6150
chipset, and you are good to go, relatively modern, but low budget

too:

snip

Thanks for the advice. When I checked the Asus site they didn't list any
nForce3 drivers for Win 98SE. That's why I was looking at Socket A
nForce2 boards. I bid on 3 Athlon XP 3200+ CPUs on eBay today that went
for over $200 each! I'll be ordering one of these Athlon 64 3000+ today.

Newegg is out of stock on the K8N-E mobos but the have the regular K8N.
Besides the Giga Bit Lan and sound chip is there any important
difference between these 2 mobos?

Chas.