Old February 6th 06, 03:03 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.abit,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus

Default Athlon XP 3200+ vs. Sempron 3300+ Socket A

* * Chas wrote:
I'm building a new Socket A system with an nVidia Nforce2 chipset and
DDR400 or DDR400-2 memory for use with Win98SE.

I've been looking at Athlon XP 3200+ vs. Sempron 3300+ Socket A CPUs.
The Athlon XP has 512 cache vs. 256 with the Sempron. Also the Athlon
runs at 400MHz Vs, 333MHz for the Sempron.

I've read conflicting test reports, some saying that there is very
little difference in performance between the two CPUs.

The Athlons are getting very scarce and are running about twice as much
as the Sempron Socket A CPUs.

Any feedback?

Tom's Hardware ran a boatload of CPU tests, comparing Athlon XP to
Sempron to AMD 64 to Pentium: much depends on whether you are gaming,
doing office work (in which case the XP3200 is fine), doing audio/video,
etc:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2005/11/...005/index.html

Newegg has only 7 Socket A CPUs still listed for sale:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Order=pri ce

So, I would agree with Wes, who mentioned that building a socket 754
system would be of benefit in several ways. The AMD 64 chips run cooler
than XPs, and quieter. And, you would have the option of running a 64
bit OS later too.

If you are concerned about getting a core in your CPU that is among the
best, check this out:

* AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice 800MHz FSB Socket 754 E6 Processor
Model ADA3000BXBOX - Retail

64 bit Support: Yes
Cooling Device: Heatsink and Fan
Hyper-Transport Support: Yes
L1 Cache: 64KB+64KB
L2 Cache: 512KB
Multimedia Instruction: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, 3DNOW! Professional
Operating Frequency: 2.0GHz
Process Type: 90 nm
Series: Athlon 64
Voltage: 1.4V
* Model #: ADA3000BXBOX
* Item #: N82E16819103606
* In Stock
* $3.00 Instant Savings
* $3.99 Three Day Shipping
* Combo Special
* Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5Rating + 5[33 reviews]
* Move item to Wish ListMove To Wish List
* Original Price: $123.00
* Instant Savings: -$3.00
* $120.00

Venice core from the socket 939 A64 series; 9. micron (runs cool and
quiet); lots of cache, which I think you were looking for; memory
controller on die, E6 stepping, (some later bug fixes and memory
controller from what I read, but, I also read that no one really notices...)

Combine with an Asus K8N-E or something with the new Nvidia 6100/6150
chipset, and you are good to go, relatively modern, but low budget too:

76 socket 754 motherboards for sale on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Order=rati ng

HTH,

BC