Old December 24th 18, 01:41 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Shadow[_2_]

Default What's the difference between these two memories ?

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 19:18:59 -0500, Paul
wrote:

The only strange thing that happened is my clock sometimes
loses or gains 20-30 seconds in a day. (I use Neutron from Keir.net to
synchronize on Startup). And that never happened before I installed
the memories.The error was always a second or less.
Maybe I twisted something on the MB when I pressed the
memories in place. Weird.
[]'s

That is 230ppm at least. That's a little high.

The computer has two time pieces. Windows time. BIOS time.

Windows runs a software clock. It depends on BCLK for traceability.

THe BIOS runs the RTC clock, which depends on the 32768Hz motherboard crystal.

The software clock can only lose time (by "missing" clock tick interrupts).

Windows time could gain or lose, based on BCLK being off.

BIOS time could gain or lose, based on 32768Hz clock.

Last night I synched my time, turned off my network, closed
windows. When I started up today I opened Wireshark, turned the
network back on and time was spot-on (nothing showed on Wireshark
other than the usual ARP stuff and the Neutron query).
After it was on for 3 hours I checked the time and it was 4
seconds off. I disconnected the network again, etc et al, and when I
had rebooted the time was exact, no delay. I did NOT correct the time
before rebooting.
IOW the BIOS time seems to be working fine.
I always assumed Windows used the BIOS hardware clock and not
some "internal software clock".
I read somewhere that BCLK is used for overclocking. My BIOS
settings are set to default. What could be altering the BCLK time by
so much ? And could adding memory have affected it somehow ?
TIA
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004