Old June 22nd 09, 05:08 AM posted to alt.computer,24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.computer.security,alt.privacy,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
[email protected]

Default Why are HDD platters harder than the floppy/ZIP discs?

"Rod Speed" wrote:

Wrong. There was no ramp initially, that came later to avoid
stiction which happens due to the very smooth platter and head

No, it was the glue (used to keep the magnetic media on the aluminum
platters), would get sticky when hot, when the heads parked themselves,
the glue would cool down and the heads would become stuck.

Utterly mangled all over again. There was never any 'glue
(used to keep the magnetic media on the aluminum platters)

I had read and been informed that it was the glue, apparently it was
due to "lubricants used to coat the platters"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stiction#Hard_disk_drives

And you are right about the Ramps they are addressed in the link as
well - I do need to open up a new HD, but don't have a bad one; lot's
of old drives, less than 2gigs mostly
--

Amazing Street Basketball Tricks
http://www.youtube.com/v/fYlTrl6Cwwc