Old June 27th 03, 11:05 PM
Grant Edwards

In article , Jonathan Kirwan wrote:

Interesting note about the 360. I only had a few opportunities
to program in BAL and never got into the floating point formats.

IIRC, the Navy's UYK-44 processor (probably UYK-20 as well,
though I'm not sure it did FP) also used base 16 for the
exponent, so increasing the exponent by 1 shifted the mantissa
by 4. I dare anybody to claim that's a useful bit of
information to have retained for 15+ years....

I think I've actually read about this, once. Been a while,
though. And... I'm glad I was able to forget it. Now, you've
gone and forced those poor brain cells to re-align on this and
I'm probably going to forget something else important.

Could be worse, I could've explained what BAM variables were...

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! YOW!! I am having
at FUN!!