Old January 9th 21, 09:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Rene Lamontagne

Default 5400 RPM HDD vs 7200 RPM HDD vs SATA SSD

On 2021-01-09 1:48 p.m., Larc wrote:
I recently replaced my antique Toshiba laptop with a new shiny new HP,
which I freely
admit is at least partly a toy since I'm retired and do my real work
on a PC.Â* The
new laptop arrived with a 1TB 5400 RPM HDD.Â* I added a 250GB NVMe SSD
to use for the
system drive and set up 2 partitions on the HDD, E: for working data
andÂ* F: for
storage and backups.Â* I'm planning to replace a memory module and go
from 12GB to
16GB total (not much difference, but I'm prejudiced against uneven
modules in twin
slots).Â* While I have the laptop open, I could change the current HDD
to something
else like a 7200 RPM HDD or preferably a SATA SSD.Â* But my thinking is
that I'd not
notice much difference in day-to-day operations since the system drive
wouldn't be
affected.Â* System backups would probably go noticeably quicker getting
sent to SSD,
but no real need to upgrade unless there are obvious improvements
beyond that.Â* Is
there some aspect I'm missing here that might justify an upgrade?
Please!Â* I can't
come up with anything no matter how hard I try.

Larc

If my memory serves me right the 5400 RPM drives run cooler than the
7200Â* RPM ones, So in a laptop I would stay with the 5400, in a desktop
I would probably go with 7200.

Yes, in the memory area I would definitely go with 2 8GB modules, I too
always want matched pairs in a twin slot system.

Rene

I should have mentioned that the SSD may run slightly cooler than the
HDD which is always a good thing in a laptop

For instance in my Desktop I have a 512 GB Seagate HDD side by side with
a 256 GB Samsung SSD the HDD runs 32 deg C and the SSD runs at 28 deg
C, plus the SSD is about 5 times faster.

Rene