Old January 13th 06, 01:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware

Default Award Boot Block BIOS rom checksum error

Looks like Paul tracked down the proper tool for you. If it fails however,
it's time to replace the board.

"Paul" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:

Hello

Here's my BIOs query for you wonderful fixit people:
A week prior to the checksum message described below my PC started up
with an extra and unusual message, something along the
lines of: "Primary Bios fail, now booting using secondary BIOS.." Of
course I shoud have got help then, but I figured as
long as everything eventually booted, why bother?

After about 7 or so boots like this I got a dreaded checksum error
message and could not access anything besides the floppy
drive. A "fundi" told me to flash the BIOS, but I've struggled finding
the correct one. Usually the ones I did try either
froze up everything or did not work at all. I downloaded most of the
flash utilities from a jetway site.

And unfortunately the Motherboard Utility CD has a flasher for an
Amibios chip. Aarrgh!!

Please, please put me one the trail of a flasher that works, or any
advice to help my ailing PC!

Thanks

Flipflop.

-----------------------
CPU : AMD Athlon 2000 xp
MotherBoard: Gigabyte GA-7VAX REV1.2, K7 Triton 400, FSB333
-----------------------------
First startup screen:
GA-622-32C VGA BIOS rev2.2 Gigabyte VGA Bios
32MB ram AGP4X
---------------------------------
Second screen:
Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0 Copyright (c) 2000, Award Software
Inc

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting floppy drive A media

Drive media is: 1.44 MB

Remove disks or other media
Press any key to restart

Is this your motherboard ? The BIOS is associated with the motherboard,
and the GA-7VAX is on the Gigabyte site.

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard...OS_GA-7VAX.htm

The download from that page is self-extracting - double-click to
extract it. Inside is a flasher program "flash879", the BIOS
file "7vax.f13" of size 262144 bytes, and the command syntax is
shown in autoexec.bat as "flash879 7vax.f13".

You can get a dowhloadable manual from here. PDF page 64
describes the options for flashing the BIOS. This is a
pretty big download (8MB). Basically, you can make a DOS floppy
boot disk, boot from the floppy, and with the flash879.exe
and 7vax.f13 files copied onto the floppy, execute the
"flash879 7vax.f13" command from the prompt.

http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard...al_GA-7VAX.htm

If you still have the paper copy of the user manual, the
procedure should be documented in there as well.

HTH,
Paul