Old August 24th 05, 02:04 PM
Anonymous

Wes,

I really don't want to have to do a pinmod.

I have concluded that either the CPU is getting too hot causing
instability, or, the PS isn't up to snuff, or the motherboard is quirky.

I have disabled the BIOS settings for shutting down the machine when CPU
temps get too high, but, I wonder if the CPU getting too hot can cause
reboots anyway.

I have purchased a heatsink/fan specifically for this CPU, as the old
one was a Thermaltake Vaolcano 7 that was used on the Thunderbird 1.333.

I guess we'll see what happens when it arrives.

I really don't think it is the PS, but I will be getting a multimeter
today to make sure.

Dave

Wes Newell wrote:
On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:55:22 +0000, Anonymous wrote:

I wonder if the voltages might be the problem.

If they are dropping to a critical low under full load, yes.

I don't believe temp is problem. This CPU is a lot cooler than the
1.333 MHz processor.

That's good, and it should be. The old Tbirds ran real hot.

After running memtest for 6 hours I had no errors, so, I believe the
memory is fine.

I'd come to that conclusion too.

I lowered the FSB to 133 from 166 and I have a stable system. Prime95
stress testing runs fine.

That's good, but really doesn't tell you much.

Bottom line, after some investigation is that I beleive this motherboard
isn't the best. I have used the SPD settings for RAM and also tried
setting manually when running @ 166 FSB. Interestingly, the manual
settings do not allow 7 for tRAS in the bios. Only 5 or 6. Either
setting and Prime95 crashes.

So, I wonder, should I run @ 166 and forget about Prime95, or run @ 133
and suffer a performance hit, but be able to run Prime95.

I wonder though... if Prime95 is crashing at best settings, would other
apps or the OS be unstable?

I'm not sure if I'd trust it, but it could be a P95 problem only. at a
minimum, I'd use the pinmod to raise vcore to 1.675 or 1.7v and see what
that does. If it runs there, you might try a larger PSU at normal voltages.

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/ht...md_pinmod.html