Old March 16th 18, 11:31 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Computer Nerd Kev

Default Do you stress test your new drives?

Ed Light wrote:
On 3/14/2018 3:34 PM, Computer Nerd Kev wrote:

It's always a bit of a gamble whatever you do, that's what backups
(etc.) are for. I don't think that repeating the initial tests that
the manufacturer should have already done will have much impact on
the odds.

I actually had to send a Samsung and a Western Digital back because they
didn't pass the full self-test, where the drive totally scans itself.

It can take hours to run and so I doubt if the manufacturers do that. It
would certainly be better if they did.

I didn't doubt it because such a degree of testing didn't used to be
unusual in other industries making consumer products, and HDDs are
business grade products as well. Now I do, though I think it's
ridiculous.

--
__ __