Old September 10th 03, 01:23 AM
Eric Lee Green

In article , Anton Rang ruminated:
Eric Lee Green writes:
In article , Malcolm Weir ruminated:
Tape's failure modes tend to be less catastrophic than disk's. E.g.

That is not my experience. In general, when a section of tape becomes
unreadable, every bit of tape after that section is no longer
accessible.

I've never seen a drive which behaved that way. Are you sure it's not
the driver on your system refusing to skip past the bad block?

Could very well be. I haven't had bad tapes in a long time. The last time
was back when I was doing SCO Unix, which was seriously broken in a number
of other ways too.

--
Eric Lee Green
Linux/Unix Software Engineer seeks employment