Old January 26th 14, 10:45 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Default I solved a problem today that I have had since I have been buildingcomputers.

Metspitzer wrote:
No more trial and error in screw sizes.

I bought one of each of these (nuts):
6-32 x .25": Used in PC case cover and I/O plates
6-32 x .15": Used to install hard drives
M3 x .25": Used to install floppy drive, CD-ROM drive and motherboard
4-40 x .18": Used in I/O plate connector

And one of these:
http://www.toolup.com/empire-level_2...FZDm7AodYkAAhg

I use those magnets here. At one time, The Source (our
equivalent of Radio Shack) used to carry them. But I've
also found them at the hardware store. The price is
highly variable, with some stores trying to gouge
you for those magnets. The ceramic magnets will "chip"
on the edge, if struck or dropped. Otherwise, I like them.
I have around 20 to 25 of those magnets, and they're all
busy "doing stuff" :-)

If you build your own computers, and purchase a computer
case in a cardboard box as part of your build, those come
with a bag of screws. And if I needed a fastener of the
sort you list, I'd go through the left-overs from those
bags, to see if I had any.

At one time, a "retail" hard drive purchase, came in a
cardboard box, with a foam liner. And include 3.5" to 5.25"
U-shaped pieces for drive mounting conversion, as well as
eight screws to fit that stuff. And that's where some of
my drive screws came from. Even if the Maxtor drives
that came in those boxes died, the screws lived on to
help the replacement drives.

Paul